"Creativity can neither be taught nor mass-produced."
I love to write and create. I also want to share my interest in photography, gardening, family, art, decorating, Christian faith and my enjoyment and gratitude to God for creating me and allowing me to thrive in my home setting. I love making my house a home. I am determined to 'bloom where I am transplanted'.

Saturday, August 02, 2014

Four Blue Ribbons!


Seriously, I was shocked. But at the same time, giddy! I couldn't believe it... I got 4 blue ribbons for my 2 lap quilts, 1 batik wall hanging, and this little pillow I made out of a vintage calendar towel.  


 When I first went to the county fair and saw my projects with the blue ribbon 'stickers', I was disappointed. I thought people actually got a real live, blue ribbon. I began brainstorming of how I could make my own... but when I went to pick up my items after the fair, I found that I really would receive an in-the-flesh, honest-to-goodness, blue ribbon... plus $5! The ladies must have thought I was crazy... I have never in my life entered anything in a fair, never did 4-H projects, never was in a setting that anyone did 4-H projects, and here I was, as excited as a little kid. My husband says I am a '60 year-old 4-H er'  Better late than never, right?  


If you have ever been to a quilt show, you know how beautiful many of the quilts are with detailed patterns, intricate machine or hand quilting, beautiful applique and embroidery. Mine are very simple and a Blue ribbon is actually second place. First place received purple ribbons. Maybe next year? I know now I will enter a quilt or something similar next year; I've been inspired... next year's entry will be even better. I won't hope for a purple ribbon, I really won't. But maybe I'll be surprised. 

5 comments:

Connie said...

Congratulations! This post is so encouraging, because I was thinking about putting a quilt in the fair. The last time that I entered anything was 40 years ago, and it was a couple oil paintings. Our weather is so hot that I'm not sure if I even want to go to the fair, then again I would like to put a quilt in and just see what happens :) I am so happy for you and you have every right to be excited and thrilled with your ribbons. I think it is wonderful!
You are an inspiration :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I think that is wonderful and you deserved them. I like all four, but that pillow tugs at my heart.

Judi

Joy said...

Thanks ladies! I found the vintage calendar towel at my local thrift store. Connie, go ahead and submit a quilt to the fair. It's lots of fun.

Marigold Jam said...

Congratulations - well deserved I'd say. Hope you do well next time too but even if not it will be fun trying won't it? I once entered a little felt bag I'd made in a local fair whilst staying with a friend in Wales and got a certificate for it not sure whether it was first second or third but it was a boost to my creative spirit either way!

Michelle said...

Conratulations!!! You deserve it! They are gorgeous! :)