"Creativity can neither be taught nor mass-produced."
I love to write and create. I also want to share my interest in photography, gardening, family, art, decorating, Christian faith and my enjoyment and gratitude to God for creating me and allowing me to thrive in my home setting. I love making my house a home. I am determined to 'bloom where I am transplanted'.

Monday, October 14, 2013

Refurbished Table

Driving down our alley one day, I found this table set out by the dumpster... can you imagine?
A perfectly good table, and as I surmised by the sticky jelly smears on the top, probably in someone's kitchen. But jelly cleans off, right? 
Losers weepers, finders keepers.


 Just a bit of wiping off with a wet rag, and as it sat outside--in the rain--I knew I had to do something with it. Can't let a diamond in the rough go to waste. Well, I'd better get on it, I needed to do something even if it was wrong. First off, fill the nail holes and then sand lightly. I did have the thought that I wasn't going to struggle with making it look perfect--that would have taken the fun out of the whole project.


Go ahead and strip the drawer front... then clean up a bit with steel wool, leaving some shadows of paint behind. Paint the rest of the table Black Satin to go with similar items in my living room... tie it in, you know.


Make a tablescape/ vignette... Glued some scrapbook papers inside the drawer dividers, one is a photo of baby Joy with her mother and siblings (long, long ago).  Extra surprise: the carpenter penciled in his name and date: December 8, 1935.  A found handle with the year 1835 scratched on the underside.


I love it. Place it by the front window, lamp on top, old books and a plant. 'Moss' on the bottom along with a 'headstone' strategically placed...(actually just a 'practice' stone, found behind a house).


All systems in place. We are good to go.

5 comments:

marigold jam said...

Waste not want not and it looks great now!

Debbie said...

Lovely job with the cast away and found piece. Some of my favorite pieces are salvages.

Nancy said...

Totally love this! Nice job!

Sherry N Shirley said...

Looks GREAT Joy***

Molly said...

Wow, clever you! I love how you turned this into such an elegant piece.