"Creativity can neither be taught nor mass-produced."
I love to write and create. I also want to share my interest in photography, gardening, family, art, decorating, Christian faith and my enjoyment and gratitude to God for creating me and allowing me to thrive in my home setting. I love making my house a home. I am determined to 'bloom where I am transplanted'.

Tuesday, September 03, 2013

To Zoe With Love


I don't see my grandchildren very often. I want them to know me, but visits 2 X a year, SKYPE, and talks on the phone are pretty limiting. What to do?  Speaking with my Granddaughter who is in the Fourth Grade, I asked her what her favorite subjects are. She said, "Art, writing, and reading." Me too!  I said, "Would you like me to write down my memories of when I was in Fourth Grade and send them to you?" She thought that was a good idea. 


So, write I did. Three pages. And I printed off some of examples of my art work.  I asked, "Would you like me to send you a photo of myself when I was in Fourth Grade?"  She responded, "That would be cool!" 


Three pages, plus one page of artwork and a photo of Fourth Grade Moi. Bought a 3 ring binder at the store in her favorite colors, and put some of my scrap booking stickers to work. It was fun. I'll be sending more typed memories when I think of them. I hope she likes it. (First Grade Grandma is for Grandson who is in First Grade).  :)

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

What a great idea. I'm in a similar situation with 11 grandchildren. I'm always looking for new ideas to keep in touch.

marigold jam said...

Lovely idea Joy. I started writing my mrmories and doing some scrapbooking for the same reason - not that I have any grandchildren but thinking my daughter might one day be interested in what things were like when I was a child and if she isn't well maybe someone else will be and if not then I will have enjoyed myself remembering things whilst I still can!! I am sure your grand-daughter will love your book - how old is fourth grade by the way?

Pearly Queen said...

I know just how you feel, I miss my grandchildren but then I think they will still know me despite infrequent visits. Skype is a great boon...

Penny
x

Teresa said...

I've found that showing pictures of myself when I was a little girl is a wonderful way to draw grandchildren to you--and it evidently works for those who are far away. I know they must love their grandma for all the time you've spent on this project!

Joy said...

Hello Jane, Zoe is 9 years old. I wrote my memoirs up to age 12 a few years back, I need to finish them up or at least add to them.

The Curious Cat said...

awww....I think she'll love them! What a sweet thing to do. Where are your grandchildren? Why aren't they closer?!! xxx

Joy said...

The grand kids live approximately 680 miles away--that's just where they live--and I imagine, will stay.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

aww... super sweet idea! Something she can relate to and cherish for ever :)